Friday, February 2, 2024

Music for the Fifth Sunday after Epiphany, Year B: February 4, 2024



OPENING VOLUNTARY On Eagle's Wings setting, Marilyn Biery 
The Starry Night, by Vincent Van Gogh, is one of our planet's most famous paintings. It's not very realistic, is it? If you wanted to explain to someone in outer space what the night looks like on earth, you probably wouldn't point to Van Gogh's work.

It's unfinished. The colors aren't realistic and neither are the shapes. The bold splashes of color and languorous brush strokes aren't meant to imitate the real world, but to give an impression of the real world.

It's the same with Marilyn Biery's setting of the beloved "On Eagle's Wings." Don't try to sing along because you rarely get a full piece of the melody. Rather, we get hints of the tune we all know. Harmonic progressions, sans melody, are still intact and you can almost see an eagle as it glides from one thermal to another.
"The Starry Night" Vincent Van Gogh (1853 - 1890)


GATHERING HYMN Praise the One Who Breaks the Darkness (Nettleton) ELW 843

HYMN OF THE DAY Praise to the Lord, the Almighty (Lobe den Herren) ELW 858
The choir loves to laugh at me because I often say a hymn is my "favorite," but this hymn is not only one that I love. It also has one of my favorite lines in the entire body of hymnody. I don't often sing with the assembly when I accompany hymns, but you'll likely see me give it all I've got when we get to the line "Let the Amen sound from his people again!" (The exclamation point is mine.) Musically and textually, this is an engaging moment for me!

MUSICAL OFFERING Be Thou My Vision (Slane) arr. Marie Pooler

COMMUNION HYMNS
Precious Lord, Take My Hand  (Precious Lord) ELW 773
I'm So Glad Jesus Lifted Me (Jesus Lifted Me) ELW 860

SENDING HYMN Sing Praise to God, the Highest Good (Lobt Gott den Herren, ihr) ELW 871

CLOSING VOLUNTARY Sing Praise to God, the Highest Good setting, Wayne Barlow
The hymn itself has a dance quality to it. Harlow's approach is different - harmonically adventurous and majestic!

Sources: By Vincent van Gogh - Transferred from the English Wikipedia, Public Domain, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=4603625




No comments:

Post a Comment

Music for the Fifth Sunday of Easter, Year B: April 28, 2024

OPENING VOLUNTARY Ubi caritas et amor  setting, Gerald Near It is the Holy Spirit's work to gather us together as God's people in a ...